Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mushroom Marsala

After a day of studying away wit Prince Charming I finally made it home to help my mom cook dinner. Now, dinner is always a huge controversy at the Troxel house; my brother, will never eat anything my mother makes, so he stays content with frozen foods. My father, dabbles in and out of vegetarianism with my mom, and I am a hard core vegan. (And proud of it!) However, my parents are slowly migrating my way and have discovered that mushrooms are a wonderful and filling meat substitute. Needless to say, after a few bickering moments my mom and I decided to give Chloe Coscarelli's "Marsala Mushroom Ragout" our own little twist! 

Mushroom Marsala

Ingredients: 


1 tablespoon of olive oil (to heat pan) 
1 whole onion finely chopped
16 ounces of shiitake mushrooms (cut into bite size pieces) 
A hardy shake of Montreal Steak Seasoning (our personal favorite)
1/4 Marsala Wine
2 tablespoons of minced garlic (we like our garlic)
1 cup of organic vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro 

The Process: 

Heat the oil on medium to high heat in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic and sauté until soft. Add Montreal Steak Seasoning, a pinch of salt, and garlic and stir until mixed. Then add Marsala Wine and vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil, then let simmer for approximately 20 minutes. 

*Note: While the Marsala was simmering my mom and I decided that we need something more, so we again took Chloe's idea and added Polenta. Chloe insists on frying the Polenta but my mom and I simply bought some organic Polenta from the store, sliced it, and baked it in the oven until crispy. (In my opinion, it was just as good.) 

This is a quick easy, fine restaurant, tasting dish that I highly recommend for not only vegans but everyone. Enjoy! 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment